How Propane Is Made And Other Facts

propane information iowaIf you’re a Pelgas customer (or plan to become one), you’re probably already aware of the many benefits and uses of propane.

But how well do you really know propane?

Here are 10 fun facts about propane that you might not have known – until now:

  1. Although some propane is produced from crude oil refinement, most domestically produced propane is a byproduct of domestic natural gas processing. In fact, current U.S. propane supplies are abundant due in large part to the increase in natural gas production. 
  2. The propane fuel you buy is not 100 percent propane gas; it’s about 90 percent propane plus odorant, propylene, and about 9 percent butane.
  3. Nearly 90 percent of the U.S. propane supply is produced domestically; almost three-quarters of the remaining 10 percent is produced in Canada or Mexico.
  4. Propane is 270 times more compact as a liquid than as a gas – which is why it’s far more economical to store and transport as a liquid.
  5. Propane is stored and transported as a pressurized liquid at 177 PSI. The liquefying stage is critical for the successful production of propane; if some of the impurities and other hydrocarbons, such as ethane, propene or pentene, are not sufficiently removed, propane will not liquefy properly.
  6. The founder of the propane gas industry was a man named Walter O. Snelling, who was the first person to identify propane as a volatile component in gasoline. After the discovery, he quickly realized its tremendous potential.
  7. In its natural state, propane is nontoxic, colorless, and virtually odorless; an odorant (which smells like rotten eggs) is added for safety’s sake.
  8. Propane won’t ignite when combined with air until the source of ignition reaches 940 degrees Fahrenheit – which is why it’s safe to transport in tanks.
  9. Propane is one of the lightest, simplest hydrocarbons in the universe. As a result, it is one of the cleanest burning of all fossil fuels – so clean, in fact, that propane is not considered a greenhouse gas.
  10. Propane is the only alternative fuel listed in the 1990 Clean Air Act and the National Energy Policy Act of 1992; neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants.

When it comes to propane, knowledge is power! To learn more about propane’s many benefits for your home or business, contact Pelgas today!