Propane vs. Electricity in Iowa
Propane is the cleaner, more efficient choice
Just about any appliance that runs on electricity can operate more efficiently on propane. Efficient propane not only saves money, but it’s better for the environment.
- Propane water heaters can produce twice as much hot water as electric units—in the same amount of time.
- Propane water heaters generally cost 30% less to operate than electric ones—or 60% less if you use a tankless propane water heater.
- Overall, propane tankless water heaters produce about 50% fewer carbon emissions than electric water heaters with a storage tank.
- Most high-efficiency propane furnaces feature two-stage gas burners and variable speed motors to deliver all the warm air you need, no matter how cold it gets. That’s why, on the coldest of cold Iowa nights, propane-heated homes are much warmer than those that rely solely on electric heat.
- With a clean-burning, high-efficiency propane furnace, less than 10% of fuel is wasted in the combustion process. In comparison, more than two-thirds of the energy used by a power plant to generate and transmit electricity is wasted.
If you’re thinking about expanding your use of propane in your home, please contact us.